Iron Oxide Pigment Description
Iron oxide pigment is the second largest inorganic pigment after titanium dioxide and the first largest colored inorganic pigment, which mainly refer to red iron oxide, yellow iron oxide, black iron oxide and brown iron oxide pigment with iron oxide as the basic substance. In addition, of all the iron oxide pigment consumed, more than 70% are prepared by chemical synthesis methods, called synthetic iron oxide, such as, green iron oxide, etc… We can supply iron oxide pigments in a variety of colors, browse the below products to look for the pigments you need and contact us if you need help, we will help you choose the right iron oxide pigments for your unique requirements.
High coloring power and high hiding power.
Excellent light resistance, weather resistance.
High temperature resistance, Strong coloring force.
More Things You Want To Know About Iron Oxide Pigment
Iron Oixe Pigment Uses
- As inorganic pigment, it is used for coloring of paint, rubber, plastic, construction, etc… Used as anti-rust pigment in coating industry. Used as colorant for artificial marble, ground terrazzo, colorant and filler for plastic, asbestos, artificial leather, leather polish, etc., polishing agent for precision instruments, optical glass, and raw materials for manufacturing ferrite components of magnetic materials, etc…
- As the magnetic raw materials, it can be used in the electronics industry, communication equipment, televisions, computers, as well as line output transformer, switching power supply and ferrite magnetic core.
- Used in analytical reagents, catalysts and polishing agents, also used as a pigment ingredient.
- Used for coloring the outer sugar coating of various pills.
- Used as magnetic material, pigment and preparation of reducing agent, polishing agent, catalyst, etc…
- Used as a pigment for anti-paint. Because the mica iron oxide anti-rust made by this product has good water permeability resistance and excellent anti-rust performance, it can replace red lead.
- Due to the high purity of synthetic iron oxide, uniform and tidy particle size, and wide chromatography, varieties of colors, low price, non-toxic, as well as excellent coloring and application performance, and ability to absorb ultraviolet rays, it is widely used in construction materials, coatings, plastics, electronics, medicine, rubber, ceramics, inks, magnetic materials, paper making and other fields.
Properties And Advantages of Iron Oxide Pigment
High chemical stability and physical endurance.
- Alkali resistance. It is very stable to any concentration of alkalis and other types of alkaline materials, especially cement and lime mortar commonly used in construction, and won’t powder or affect the strength of cement building components.
- Acid resistance. It has certain resistance to general weak acids and dilute acids, but it can also dissolve in strong acids, especially when heated and concentrated.
- Light fastness. Color invariable under intense sunlight exposure.
- Heat resistance. It is stable within a certain temperature limit, and the color will start to change beyond its temperature limit. As the temperature increases, the degree of change will become more and more significant. The temperature limit of each variety is as follows:
Iron oxide yellow gradually changes color to red phase over 130℃.
Iron oxide red becomes dark red gradually over 300℃.
Iron oxide purple over 400℃ gradually change color to deep red.
Iron oxide black over 100℃ gradually change color to dark red.
Iron oxide brown gradually changes color to red phase over 130℃.
Iron green gradually changes color to dark red over 200℃.
- Weather resistance. It isn’t affected by climatic conditions, such as, cold, hot, dry and wet atmosphere.
- Dirty air resistance. It is very stable in any dirty gas, such as, hydrogen sulfide, carbon oxide, sulfur oxide, hydrogen chloride, nitrogen oxide and other gases.
- Water, oil, solvent resistance permeability. Insoluble in water, various mineral oils, vegetable oils and ethers, esters, ketones and other organic solvents, and no penetration.
Bright and clear color and unique hue. The color of iron oxide pigments is very clear and pure, and it doesn’t need to be embellished with other organic or inorganic pigments.
Excellent economic effect. The iron oxide pigment has a high coloring power, fine and uniform particle size, which ensures its use value, coupled with a lower selling price, which can ensure the economic effect of the users.
Production Process of Iron Oxide
The production methods of iron oxide are mainly divided into dry method and wet method. The dry method mainly includes the calcination method of green alum, the calcination method of iron yellow, the calcination method of iron black, as well as natural iron oxide mineral ultrafine crushing method using hematite as raw material. The wet process mainly includes sulfate method, nitrate method and mixed acid method. According to the different neutralizer used in the two-step oxidation process, it can also be divided into iron sheet method and ammonia method.
The advantages of dry process is that the production process is simple, the technological process is short, the equipment investment is relatively small.
The disadvantages is that the quality is a little poor, the harmful gases are produced in the calcination process, which has a significant impact on the environment. For example, a large amount of sulfur-containing gas is produced during the calcination process of iron alum. In recent years, based on the comprehensive utilization of iron-containing wastes, dry processes such as sulfuric acid cinder method, iron ore powder acidification roasting method have appeared. These methods are simple in technology and low in investment, but the quality of products is low, so they can only be used in low-end fields.